AgCarolina Farm Credit Awards $29,400 in Grant Funds
Release date: 12/19/2019
Raleigh, NC - AgCarolina Farm Credit announces $29,400 in grants have been extended to twelve organizations through its corporate-giving program. The grants will aid recipients in carrying out programs specifically benefiting farmers and rural residents in eastern North Carolina.
Grants up to $5,000 per organization were awarded, at a reception held at Rose Hill Plantation in Nashville, NC, in one of the four focus areas of Education, Environment, Technology, or Quality of Rural Life to the following organizations:
- Bear Grass Charter FFA: Update existing greenhouse on campus with a cool cell for all-season use.
- Bertie County 4-H: Purchase shears, clippers, stand, and portable air compressor for youth to prepare their animals for show.
- Cleveland High School FFA: Purchase livestock scale, wide blade, blocking chute, and supplies for the livestock program.
- Edgecombe County 4-H: Building a multi-functional barn to support the increase in educational programming from 4-H and other Extension groups.
- Johnston County Public Schools (South Johnston High School): Purchase trees to establish and maintain a tree identification forest/arboretum on the SJHS campus
- Nash County 4-H: Purchase 10 portable interlocking hog and small ruminant pens to be housed at the East Carolina Agriculture and Education Center.
- New Bern High School FFA: Funds to construct a chicken coop, fence, and feeders/waters on campus
- North East Carolina Prep Agriculture Program & FFA Chapter: Equipment for greenhouse to develop the ag-ed program
- South Garner High School FFA: Funds for purchasing materials for Ag Mechanics II class to build a pig cooker for use in school fundraising
- Southern Nash High School FFA: Upgrade greenhouse heaters in 2 greenhouses on campus for Horticulture I & II students
- Wakefield High School: Purchase biotechnology kits to experiment with genetic engineering of the tobacco mosaic virus and the importance of genetic diversity in tobacco plants.
- Washington County 4-H: Purchase materials for agricultural based curriculum for school enrichment programs. Also replacing sidewalls of 4-H livestock barn.
Association CEO Dave Corum states, “The AgCarolina corporate giving fund has awarded over $440,000 in grant funds to benefit the rural and agricultural communities of our eastern North Carolina service area since 2005. AgCarolina is committed to partnering with organizations to enhance the quality of life and opportunities for rural residents of eastern North Carolina.”
The application period for 2020 grants opens as of January 1, 2020. For more information, please visit our Community page.
AgCarolina Farm Credit is a farmer owned financial cooperative with headquarters in Raleigh. They are the leading provider of credit to farmers in central and eastern North Carolina. AgCarolina Farm Credit has over $1.5 billion in loans and commitments outstanding to nearly 3,000 North Carolina farmers. Loans are made to finance land, homes, farm buildings, operating expenses, livestock and equipment, as well as other purposes. Credit life insurance, appraisal services, and leasing are also available through AgCarolina Farm Credit.